Step 1: Search
How do you decide who to enter into a mentoring relationship with and how do you do it?
- What experiences and learning can I bring to the mentoring relationship?
- What are my own expectations for the relationship?
- What are the skills, area of focus, and strengths that I would like the mentee to possess?
- Are there any obstacles that could impede the relationship’s development?
Mentor Sign Up
Sign Up To Be A Mentor
Step 2: Connect
Now that the mentoring relationship has been initiated, how do you make sure both of your expectation and goals are aligned?
- Formalize timelines, plans of action, proposals and goals
- Be specific when talking about each other’s roles, time commitment, communication style and intentions for supervision and oversight
- Clear communication should be maintained throughout the mentoring relationship in order to make sure timeline and goals are being met
Setting Mentees Up for Success
Teach them how to create a career development plan that consistently measures and celebrates success and identifies and troubleshoots potential roadblocks.
Support them to take the lead in the mentoring relationship and be clear on what they want for themselves and from their mentors.
Remind mentees that it’s important to give in order to receive.
Help mentees get comfortable asking for what they need.
Step 3: Journey
You are now well on your way through your mentoring journey! Here are some guiding questions and resources to make sure you stay on the path to a successful research mentoring experience.
- Investigative Questions: What have you accomplished so far? When is your due date? Have you had any challenges or setbacks with your research?
- Discovery Questions: How could we have approached this problem differently? What are you learning from this experience? What is the best thing/worst thing that could come from your approach? Did you apply suggestions from the constructive feedback I provided?
- Empowering Questions: What is your next step? What will you do if your first plan does not work? What is your back up plan? What resources do you have? What do you need? How can I help you succeed?
Step 4: Assess
Take a look back over your research experience as a mentor. Evaluate your mentor-trainee relationship, keeping in mind; the ultimate goal is the promotion and development of a productive, independent, and responsible researcher.
- Were the research goals met? If not, why?
- Have you assessed the personal growth of your mentee as a result of their participation in this relationship?
- How has this relationship impacted you personally and professionally?
- Will there be continued opportunities to remain in contact with the mentee?
Step 5: Explore
How can you use your mentoring experiences for personal and professional development?
- How can you work with your mentee to disseminate research findings?
- What guidance will you provide to your mentee to continue their academic/career pathway?
- How can you work collaboratively with your mentee and/or other collaborators to grow research efforts and the STEM pipeline?
Identify opportunities that your mentee can look into and possible academic or career paths he/she can take as a result of their research interests
Identify poster opportunities were you mentee can showcase or share their research outcome
Identify publications that your mentee can apply to
Identify additional funding support